Department of Education: Safety at School
The Safety, Security and Emergency Preparedness Branch is responsible for the security of Department campuses. Our schools and state offices are secured as best as possible to prevent theft, vandalism, trespassing and acts of violence. Annual training is provided for all security personnel with continued research into security best practices and the latest technology. School and student safety is a responsibility for all involved — administrators, staff, teachers, students, families, law enforcement and the broader community. Safety and security are necessary in order for learning to take place.
Hawaii School Safety Legislation
In 2018, the Police Foundation staff conducted a comprehensive public domain scan of state legislation from all 50 states and the District of Columbia related to the following aspects of school safety and security:
- facility security and assessment requirements;
- creation, and identification of roles and responsibilities for state school safety centers and school safety teams/committees;
- requirements for school administrators and faculty;
- allocation of funds for improving school safety and security; and
- all-hazards emergency planning and preparedness.