Kansas Safe and Secure Schools Unit
The Kansas Safe and Secure Schools Unit mission is to assist school district by helping them build solid foundations of readiness, security and resiliency to withstand ALL-Hazards and anything man-made (intentional or unintentional).
Kansas Safe Schools Resource Center
KSDE believes that Kansas schools should provide physically safe and emotionally secure learning environments for all students and staff. Local USD policies should assist personnel in identifying problems associated with school safety, bullying, intimidation, and harassment, and provide a framework for an appropriate response that reinforces and encourages positive and productive conduct.
Kansas School Safety Legislation
In 2018, the Police Foundation staff conducted a comprehensive public domain scan of state legislation from all 50 states and the District of Columbia related to the following aspects of school safety and security:
- facility security and assessment requirements;
- creation, and identification of roles and responsibilities for state school safety centers and school safety teams/committees;
- requirements for school administrators and faculty;
- allocation of funds for improving school safety and security; and
- all-hazards emergency planning and preparedness.