Maine Department of Education School Security
All students in Maine deserve to have a safe environment in which they can learn. The Maine Department of Education school security team provides information to schools and works with the Legislature to ensure that schools are prepared for all types of emergencies.
Maine Department of Education School Safety
School buildings and classrooms must be safe environments – both physically and emotionally – for students to achieve and grow.
Maine Department of Education Emergency Operations Planning
Throughout the 2018- 2019 school year, the Maine Department of Education, State Fire Marshal’s Office, Department of Health and Human Services, Maine State Police, Maine Sheriffs Association, Maine Chiefs of Police Association, and the Maine Emergency Management Agency will provide tips and resource information to Maine schools to help provide some guidance for identifying signs and preventing school violence.
Maine School Safety Legislation
In 2018, the Police Foundation staff conducted a comprehensive public domain scan of state legislation from all 50 states and the District of Columbia related to the following aspects of school safety and security:
- facility security and assessment requirements;
- creation, and identification of roles and responsibilities for state school safety centers and school safety teams/committees;
- requirements for school administrators and faculty;
- allocation of funds for improving school safety and security; and
- all-hazards emergency planning and preparedness.